Tuesday 13 January 2009

"One More 7.30"

LIFE:
Captain's log; Star date...God knows! I've lost track of time, and on three occasions, have had to calculate the day of the week. That's kind of nice after 35 years at work in the UK. I'm feeling more native now and I know a bunch of shop keepers, coffee house owners and even one of the rickshaw drivers regularly careers passed me and shouts, "Hi Steve".

There was an accident right outside my balcony yesterday. A rickshaw hit a motorbike. The problem being that everyone beeps here. So both the bike and the rickshaw got so into their beeping contest, that they just drove into each other. Fortunately, it was right outside the hospital. Unfortunately, it's the same hospital that 'helped' me with my ears on day 1.

I spent a chunk of time sitting on my balcony, drinking tea and reading another book, that I found in Mysore, on the life of Krishnamacharya. His life story fascinates me. All 102 years of it. For the uninitiated, he was the teacher for so many of today's living Guru's including Sri K Pattabhi Jois, and BKS Iyengar. Historians often note him for his ability to stop his heartbeat for 2 minutes. I find his ability to heal almost untreatable conditions using asana & pranayama even more
interesting.  

TRUE  'CAR'MA

One of many little houses, that lights up so beautifully when you walk to a restaurant at dusk. I guess an appropriate term would be 'Shantih Town' (peace):
Other Mysore antics, since I last wrote, include getting 2 pairs of trousers made, in 24 hours and for 900 rupees for both pairs. That's £13.23 at today's exchange rate (our pound is also close to stopping it's heartbeat!). Anyway, the trousers are just wonderful in fit, styling and quality. When you come here, travel light on the inbound flight.

There are many, many of my friends here from Hamish's London Shala. It is great to share the lunches, sip coffee and just trade what we know of the hidey-holes around town.

THE PRACTICE:
The six consecutive led-primary classes are done. We started on Monday, following full moon Sunday, with another one and Saraswati led us through this one. Sharath took a breather as he then followed our class, with a second series talk through. We had the opportunity to sit and quietly watch this, but I passed on that because of the large numbers and I didn't want to miss my coconut juice. I did note though, how many senior teachers are here in Mysore. David Swenson, Annie Pace & Noah are all here. It was strange chatting to David as we got changed because I haven't heard his voice since I bought his dvd as a beginner about 7 years ago.

Saraswati's talk through was every bit as tough as Sharath's. Indian stretchable time is the eternity between 4.......................and 5.

Now the led-primary's are done, it is Mysore self-practice. You are given a space at your allocated time, and you practice up to where you may have been stopped, or do full primary if not. Sharath does not miss a thing, despite the large numbers and, although he has done his practice before first light, and taught since 4.45 a.m., the glint in his eyes shows that he loves it. I was told not to lift my heels when coming up to standing from the back-bend "bad habit" he said with a smile. I flew up in the final one. He was right. He's always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment